The Foresterhill site, jointly owned by NHS Grampian and the University of Aberdeen, provides significant opportunities for the provision of high quality health services and education/research facilities in Grampian. The site extends to 56 hectares and has the ability to meet the strategic needs of both parties who have a clear vision of what is required to maximise the sites potential over the next 10-20 years.
The need to articulate this joint vision stimulated the creation of a joint Development Framework for Foresterhill during 2007. The Development Framework takes account of the current challenges resulted from incremental development over the past 20-30 years and provides strategic design guidance for redevelopment and modernisation. The process of preparing the Development Framework has also resulted in the agreement of a realistic approach which will create certainty for significant high priority projects over the next five years. The key features of the new approach are summarised below:A strategic development plan which will provide a template for managing change on the site over the next c.20 years, including the identification of “character areas” for an agreed range of NHS and University of Aberdeen functions.
- An access, way-finding, traffic and car parking strategy based on the anticipated activity on the site in the short, medium and long term.
- The creation of a sense of place i.e. improvement of the relationship between buildings to that of green space and transportation for patients, visitors and staff.
- Agreement with Aberdeen City Council on the above areas to ensure that there will be an organised process of change as far as formal planning regulations are concerned.
The site is organised into key character areas identified for development which will bring together complementary functions permitting co-location within the strategic development plan. These functions are:
• Hospital Core including:
- Emergency Care/Unscheduled Care
- Complex elective inpatient care
- Outpatients/Ambulatory Care
- Cancer Care
- Women’s and Children’s Care.
• University Core:
• Health related facilities.
• Site Services.