Did you know...
- That a full-grown elephant uses the same amount of water in a day as the average UK citizen – 150 litres.
- That a dripping tap can waste enough water overnight to fill a bath.
- That it takes 200,000,000 litres per second to grow food for the planet.
- That we use approximately 6,400 buckets of water a year (not even including embedded water).
- That using the water you use to boil an egg in is good for your houseplants. There are nutrients in the water from the shell that are released when boiling happens.
- That it takes 170 litres of water to produce one pint of beer.
- That even though 75% of the earths surface is covered in water, over 97% of this is saltwater in oceans and seas, making it unusable for humans.
- That it takes about 136 drops of water to produce one drop of tea and 1100 drops to produce one drop of coffee.
- That over half of our 150 litre average use in the UK could be sourced from rainwater.
- That the UK regularly draws on the Nile’s waters particularly through cotton production.
- That two thirds of the water usage at home is in the bathroom with one third of it flushed down the toilet.
This page was last updated on 14-Nov-2008 12:47:40 GMT