Level 3 courses in English provide in-depth knowledge of literature and language in a range of historical periods and through a variety of theoretical approaches. Teaching is through lecture and seminar.
On these pages you will find detailed information about the content of Level 3 courses. You can also access course materials, handbooks and the relevant MyAberdeen pages. Students applying for admission to Honours should consult the Guide to Honours and Level 3 English Studies and/or Guide to Honours and Level 3 Language and Linguistics.
All course choices should be made in consultation with your adviser of studies.
Level 3 Courses for 2012-13
- EL30HJ American Literature to 1900
- EL30IH States of Mind: Contemporary Irish and Scottish Writing
- EL30XR Romanticism
- EL35CT Page & Stage: Renaissance Writings 1500-1640
- EL35LR Scottish Literature into the Modern World: 1750-1900
- EL35PQ Reading the Victorians
- LW3007 Modernism/Modernity: The Shock of the New
There are also a number of courses in language and linguistics. These courses do not count towards your credits for the English programme, but can provide a useful accompaniment to the study of literature.
- EL30Jx Phonetics
- EL30LQ Language: Variation and Change
- EL35NG 1st and 2nd Language Acquisition
- EL35RC Discourse Analysis
Past Exam Papers
A Past Exam Paper database is available to registered students.
All students are required to consult their email regularly. You may use your personal email address, provided you set up a forwarding address so that all email sent to your university address is automatically forwarded to your personal address. This can be set up through a web page at: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/local/mail.forward/