Dr Catherine Hambly
Post Doctoral Research Fellow
BSc Hons (Glasgow University 1996); PhD (Aberdeen University 2001)
|Telephone:||+44 (0)1224 273637|
School of Biological Sciences
My interests lie in small animal energetics.
I conducted my PhD on the energy cost of bird flight using 13C labelled bicarbonate. I measured the energy demands of flight in zebra finches, sunbirds, starlings and cockatiels. Major findings were that the flights costs when carrying loads were much lower than expected.
- I am now examining the effects of caloric restriction on energy expenditure and appetite signals in mice. The majority of this work has been to determine if body mass is controlled by a regulatory feedback system and what drives this system.
- I have conducted several studies (i) looking at gorging in mice and its effect on weight loss caused by the initiation of energy compensation mechanisms and (ii) quantifying stress in laboratory rodents using non-invasive detection of steroid products in faeces.
- My most recent studies involve analysing blood samples to assess the levels of circulatory hormones related to appetite and satiety in humans with eating disorders.
- I am also examining whether limits to sustained energy intake at peak lactation are imposed by the capacity of the animal to dissipate body heat. This work is conducted on bank voles (Clethrionomys glareolus), a small wild animal with low litter size.
- Tschp, MH., Speakman, JR., Arch, JRS., Auwerx, J., Brning, JC., Chan, L., Eckel, RH., Farese, RV., Galgani, JE., Hambly, C., Herman, MA., Horvath, TL., Kahn, BB., Kozma, SC., Maratos-Flier, E., M漼ller, TD., Mnzberg, H., Pfluger, PT., Plum, L., Reitman, ML., Rahmouni, K., Shulman, GI., Thomas, G., Kahn, CR. & Ravussin, E. A guide to analysis of mouse energy metabolism, Article, 2012, Nature methods, 9, 1, pp57 - 63
- Polyviou, T., Easton , C., Beis, L., Malkova, D., Takas, P., Hambly, C., Speakman, JR., Koehler, K. & Pitsiladis, Y. Effects of glycerol and creatine hyperhydration on doping-relevant blood parameters, Article, 2012, Nutrients, 4, 9, pp1171 - 1186, ISSN/ISBN: 2072-6643
- Zhang, L., Mitchell, SE., Hambly, C., Morgan, DG., Clapham, JC. & Speakman, JR. Physiological and behavioral responses to intermittent starvation in C57BL/6J mice, Article, 2012, Physiology and Behavior, 105, 2, pp376 - 387, ISSN/ISBN: 0031-9384
- Hambly, C., Duncan, JS., Archer, ZA., Moar, KM., Mercer, JG. & Speakman, JR. Repletion of TNFa or leptin in calorically restricted mice suppresses post-restriction hyperphagia, Article, 2012, Disease Models & Mechanisms, 5, 1, pp83 - 94, ISSN/ISBN: 1754-8403
- Polyviou, T., Pitsiladis, Y., Lee, WC., Pantazis, T., Hambly, C., Speakman, JR. & Malkova, D. Thermoregulatory and cardiovascular responses to creatine, glycerol and alpha lipoic acid in trained cyclists, Article, 2012, Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 9, 1 - 29
- Simons, MJP., Reimert, I., van der Vinne, V., Hambly, C., Vaanholt, LM., Speakman, JR. & Gerkema, MP. Ambient temperature shapes reproductive output during pregnancy and lactation in the common vole (Microtus arvalis), Article, 2011, Journal of Experimental Biology, 214, 1, pp38 - 49, ISSN/ISBN: 0022-0949
- Hambly, C. & Voigt, CC. Measuring energy expenditure in birds using bolus injections of 13C-labelled Na-bicarbonate, Article, 2011, Comparative biochemistry and physiology. Part A, Molecular & integrative physiology, 158, 3, pp323 - 328
- Speakman, J., Hambly, C., Mitchell, S. & Krl, E. Animal models of obesity, Article, 2007, Obesity Reviews, 8, Suppl 1, pp55 - 61, ISSN/ISBN: 1467-7881
- Rance, KA., Hambly, C., Dalgleish, G., Fustin, J., Bnger, L. & Speakman, JR. Quantitative trait Loci for regional adiposity in mouse lines divergently selected for food intake, Article, 2007, Obesity, 15, 12, pp2994 - 3004, ISSN/ISBN: 1930-7381
- Speakman, JR. & Hambly, C. Starving for life, Article, 2007, Journal of Nutrition, 137, 4, pp1078 - 1086, ISSN/ISBN: 0022-3166
- Hunt, C. & Hambly, C. Faecal corticosterone concentrations indicate that separately housed male mice are not more stressed than group housed males, Article, 2006, Physiology and Behavior, 87, 3, pp519 - 26, ISSN/ISBN: 0031-9384
- Rance, KA., Fustin, J., Dalgleish, G., Hambly, C., Bnger, L. & Speakman, JR. A paternally imprinted QTL for mature body mass on mouse Chromosome 8, Article, 2005, Mammalian Genome, 16, 8, pp567 - 577, ISSN/ISBN: 0938-8990
- Hambly, C. & Speakman, JR. Contribution of different mechanisms to compensation for energy restriction in the mouse, Article, 2005, Obesity Research, 13, 9, pp1548 - 1557, ISSN/ISBN: 1071-7323
- Hambly, C., Pinshow, B., Wiersma, P., Verhulst, S., Piertney, SB., Harper, EJ. & Speakman, JR. Comparison of the cost of short flights in a nectarivorous and a non-nectarivorous bird, Article, 2004, Journal of Experimental Biology, 207, 22, pp3959 - 3968, ISSN/ISBN: 0022-0949
- Hambly, C., Harper, EJ. & Speakman, JR. The energetic cost of variations in wing span and wing asymmetry in the zebra finch Taeniopygia guttata, Article, 2004, Journal of Experimental Biology, 207, 22, pp3977 - 3984, ISSN/ISBN: 0022-0949
- Jackson, DM., Hambly, C., Trayhurn, P. & Speakman, JR. Can non-shivering thermogenesis in brown adipose tissue following NA injection be quantified by changes in overlying surface temperatures using infrared thermography?, Article, 2001, Journal of Thermal Biology, 26, 2, pp85 - 93, ISSN/ISBN: 0306-4565