From time to time The Friends fund a 12 month Horticulture Bursary.
The purpose of the scheme is to provide practical experience for a recent graduate who wishes to develop a career in botanical horticulture. The student works alongside trained staff in the Garden, so that experience is gained in all aspects of the maintenance and management of a botanic garden.
- gains experience in a range of practical horticultural skills.
- takes part in regular plant identification sessions
- is introduced to computerised plant records, labelling, and herbarium techniques;
- visits local gardens and areas of natural interest;
- works with the staff of the Natural History Centre and learn about educational activities, their planning and implementation.
- attends selected undergraduate courses from the BSc (Plant Biology) curriculum at the University of Aberdeen
The 2009-2010 student was Kate Barnard